Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review of Phantoms in the Snow


Phantoms In The SnowPhantoms In The Snow by Kathleen Benner Duble
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this because my oldest son read it and told me it was one of the few books that made him cry.  For that reason alone I had to read it.

The book follows real facts (some dates of changed) of the Ski Division that helped take back Italy in World War 2.  It follows a fifteen year old who has lost his pacifist parents and is shipped to live with his completely unknown larger than life military uncle.

I think the thing I liked the most about this book is the character development.  I like that they didn't just bash the pacifist, didn't just bash the war effort...they showed how gray life can be instead of black and white and how choices have consequences, good and bad.

I am very thankful my son read this book and I am very thankful I read this book.  If you are looking for a book for your teen son, this would be a great choice.  Be advised, it deals strongly with death.  It is a grown up situation through the eyes of a young teenager.


View all my reviews

No comments: