Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy Birthday To My Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday.
How is she celebrating?
By taking down her Christmas tree.

A real live Christmas tree.
She assures me it is not dead yet.
Still VERY beautiful.
But it's getting kind of embarrassing to keep it up.

This is yet another reason why I love my mom so.
She keeps her Christmas tree up until her birthday.


I have had people say that I look like my mom did when she was my age.  I have had a complete stranger stop me in the store and say, "Oh my, you MUST be Deb's daughter, you have her exact smile."  If anyone says I am a good mom, I owe it to MY mom.  If I have a good marriage, it's because I have great parents, still married, who gave us a great example.

My mom and dad, they don't like to hear such things.  They assure me I am doing a great job and better than they did.  But I know, it's them.  They built a great foundation for us four kids.

My mom is one of my very best friends.  Growing up I honestly did not think we would ever get along - and when I recall those moments I am again grateful for boys -.  I can go a week without talking to my mom and know all is well.  We do spur of the moment get togethers.  She will randomly stop by with a coffee for me.

Even though I'm "all grown up" I still am and will always be their little girl.  My parents know me in a bad mood and a silly mood.  They know my strengths and weaknesses.  They see the potential in me that I am too exhausted to see.

I am blessed with phenomenal parents.

But today is my mom's birthday.  She is the one whom I cannot just call "mom".  I have a special nickname for her and any note I address to her always uses just her nickname.  I call her when something super silly happens or when I am crying and on the edge.  She loves each of her four kids with all her heart and tirelessly helps us, feeds us, encourages us.

She is on her knees in prayer for us.

We can get the giggles and drown ourselves in coffee like few others can do.

She can camp ten days straight with me and we still are sad to part ways.

I am forever grateful for my mom, my best friend.

For my parents.

Here is a song that I am dedicating to her today.  This girl is way younger than me and watching this I suddenly feel OLD but, I love it.  I think it's a great song for moms and daughters.

I also really like how so many of the videos are taken at the beach or pool.  I'm not sure what the mom of the singer felt about this, but I love it.  I can call my mom and just say, "We need a beach day" and she KNOWS what that means.  In the summer she will call me with all the possible dates of potential beach days for the week.  We have a photo of our two beach chairs at our favorite lake - it's one of my most favorite photos.

It's funny because I don't like to swim.  I am not a water person at all.  My mom is half fish.

But a beach day with my mom?  I can't turn them down!  They are always my most favorite days with her.



I love you tons and tons, Mugsy!  Have a most wonderful birthday! I'll see you soonishly!

2 comments:

Mugsy said...

You are to kind! I love you!

The Farmer's Wife said...

What a great post!
What a great mom!