Sunday, November 15, 2009

S1's First Hunting Thrill

Today we are turning the blog over to S1, he will recount his first hunting thrill.

S1 begins with.....

It all started when I was putting up a ground blind and S2 lost his shoe in a leaf pile behind the ground blind when a deer walked out of the field.

I told S2 and S3 to stay by the ground blind to look for S2's shoe while I RAN for the house. I was sure it might be the best day of my life. I grabbed my bow and ran back to the field. S2 told me that the deer was hiding in some brush at the end of our property line.

I came up over the top of the hill and I never knew that a six point buck was staring at me. The buck ran into the neighbor's field. With sadness, I walked over to a tree where many bucks have passed by. I waited and waited and two does came out. It was getting very dark and I watched the deer for about 15 minutes and I spooked them a couple times. Finally when they were about to leave, I took a shot that I should have never shot. The deer was 32 yards away and I shot thru grass. I thought I was having a heart attack. And I have yet to find my arrow.

My uncle came over to help me look for it, and even an experienced hunter like him never found no blood or no arrow. Wish me luck next time.

1 comment:

The Farmer's Wife said...

What a great hunting story!!!
I was so excited for you, and held my breath when you were waiting at the edge of the field...
You're a real hunter. Most people think of hunting as shooting, but really there's a lot more waiting involved than shooting. If you have the patience to wait, you'll get a good shot. It may not be on the 2nd or 8th or even the 15th day, but you'll get one, and it WILL be the best day of your life! That will be a sweet moment!

We look forward to hearing more hunting stories, and we're praying for you, here in Montana. Have fun!