Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Heroine's Bookshelf


The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls WilderThe Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder by Erin Blakemore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love reading a back story, it always adds more the book you are reading, I think.  And Erin does a great job with this book, highlighting the heroine's of childhood books.


Really, Erin had me at the first page.....


"In times of struggle, there are as many reason not to read as there are to breath.  Don't you have better things to do? reading, let alone rereading, is the terrain of milquetoasts and mopey spinsters.  At life's uglies junctures, they ver act of opening a book can smack of cowardly escapism.  Who choses to read when tehre's work to be done?


Call me a coward if you will, but when the line between duty and sanity blurs, you can usually find me curled up with a battered book, reading as if my mental healthy depended on it.  And it does, for inside the books I l love I find food, respite, escape, and perspective.  I finds something else, too: heroines and authors, hundreds of them, women whose real and fictitious lives have covered the terrain I tool must tread.


Oh, have I needed some heroines in my life."


Not only does Erin do a great job of just summarizing the lives of the authoress', she also adds fun little tidbits at the end saying "read this book when....." and gives you examples in life when the heroine in THIS book is perfectly suited to this situation.


I am especially glad this book is now in our hometown library.  I think the grandmothers, mothers and daughters will like to check out their favorite books "back stories".


View all my reviews

No comments: