Friday, February 15, 2013

The Perfect Thing

It was snowing.

Again.

The wind was howling.  I was exhausted. Leaving work, I stopped to drop something off at a friends home and took off down the dirt roads to head for home.

What I didn't expect were drifts that came half way up my suburban door.  That I would be gripping the steering wheel trying to drive fast enough to get through the drifted snow without crashing into a tree.

I rarely am really scared driving.  This was one time I was.

The boys were fighting in the back.  S3 had rested his arm next to S4's head and S4 was crying the injustice while S3 claimed he wasn't doing anything.  S2 didn't want anyone to touch him.  S1 was singing with the radio.

I have never been so happy to get home.

I literally pulled my hood up on my coat to get the mail, it was so windy.  I caught glimpse of a card addressed to me.  When we got into the house, I dropped the mail on the table.  The boys demanded my attention.  My husband was calling me to get road conditions. I was attempting to pull together a meal to feed everyone.

I wanted to crawl into bed and sleep until spring with no one disturbing me.

I plopped down in a chair at the table and suddenly remembered I had a card.

Intrigued, I slit opened the envelope to find myself laughing hysterically at a birthday card.  Is it my birthday? No. And the person who sent me this card knew that well enough, she also knew the card was too perfect not to send to me.

It was perfect timing.  It brought a smile to my heart and for a moment I was transported to the beach with her laughing over the card.

Perfectly. Timed.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.  Or a simply good laugh.

No comments: