Wednesday, February 13, 2013

We Are Eating Road Kill for Dinner

Groan.

I am actually writing this.

The only reason I am even sharing this story is because tomorrow the boys are going to school and sharing it with everyone so I might as well do damage control now.

Yes, tonight we are having road kill for dinner.

This was on the Today show a year or so ago and it made me laugh.  Didn't think it would come true.

Here is how it happened.

S1 and I were returning home from a run to the little town next to us for feed and a few groceries.  As we were pulling into the driveway, I commented on the squirrel that had been hit and was now dead in the road by our mailbox.

S1 has been wanting another squirrel tail and I told him — can you believe I said such a thing? - "It's fresh so go grab it."

So I am in the house cooking the chili I plan on having for dinner when S1 comes to the door, big limp squirrel in hand.

"Mama, I know this sounds really redneck and I know it would be a blog post and all that, but, well, this squirrel is really fresh.  Like still warm.  And it only got hit in the head here.  It's a big one and it sure would be good for dinner.  I know it would be road kill," he shrugs, "but it's good road kill."

So what did I do?

I got out the crock pot.

When his brothers arrived home from school, the thought we were joking when we said road kill was for dinner.  And when they finally believed us, they went whooping and hollering through the house.  

They are truly ecstatic.

I, for one, was not going to share this story with the world.  But looking at these four boys drooling over the cooking squirrel in the crock pot, I figure I had better get it out there now.

I am literally hanging my head in my hands not believing I will be publishing "publish".

Also, I will be having chili for dinner.  Made from store bought meat. 



5 comments:

Mary Winters said...

Great story!! My 20 yr old son took a rat trap back to his college town--he lives off campus with two other young men--and used it to catch two squirrels. They dressed and cooked the squirrels, making stew, which they shared with their friends. Everyone liked it and their were no leftovers! We also have four sons and I do not think your story is strange at all!

gramma teetsie said...

I think I just vommed in my mouth. :-)

gramma teetsie said...

I think I just vommed in my mouth. :-)

Jenn said...

Waste not, want not!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this! Your boys have to think you are the coolest mom on the planet!

Denise