Wednesday, October 27, 2010

An Opossum on the Door Step

This morning, as I was headed out the door while drinking my second cup of coffee in my pink camo Biggby travel mug (thanks, Mel and Sue!), I stopped.

Because my boys, running like wild children out the door, yelled....

"COOL!!!! SADIE GOT AN OPOSSUM!"

Wouldn't you stop?

S4 came back into the house, patted my arm and said "Don't look, Moma, it's a huge one. We will see if it's dead for you."

That's sweet of my boys, running off to be brave for their weakling mother. And I, being the damsel in distress, let them.

I was 99 percent sure it was dead.

It was. Smashed flat as a pancake. Which means the dog had run to the middle of the road to retrieve her trophy gift for us.

Lucky us.

S4 held my hand so I could miss stepping on the giant thing, which I found sweet as well. However, when I got home, it was me who had to pick the nasty thing up (I used a rake) and carried it to our outdoor wood burner. On the way there I thought of saving that stiff rotting tail for Becca...but even I am not that much of a tomboy to cut the thing off and send it on it's way to Arizona. Instead, I tossed it in the wood burner...more BTU's for heat.

Then I let the dog out...and noticed the jar.

The mason jar with the lid on it that holds captive the biggest spider I have ever seen. Ever. And the thing is alive, on my dining room table because the boys think it's cool.

I do not.

I decided to curl my hair today (hello, I think I needed extra girlyness at this point!) and while I did, Sadie must have decided the awful decaying opossum left a bad taste in her mouth because she ate the other half of the delicious pumpkin bread I had baked the night before...scarfed it all down.

I put her in the kennel. I didn't feel the least bit bad about it.

I am hoping to wake to a DEAD spider and no other dead animals on my way out the door tomorrow.....